Associate Professor, Network Dynamics and Simulation Science Laboratory, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute and Department of Computer Science
- Postdoctoral Associate, Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Postdoctoral Associate, Max-Planck Institute for Computer
Science, Saarbrücken, Germany.
- PhD, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, Computer
- Bachelor of Technology, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur,
India, Computer Science and Engineering, 1993.
My interests are in the basic areas of Approximation and Randomized algorithms, Random graphs, Discrete dynamical systems, Algorithmic Game Theory and Distributed Computing, and especially their applications to the areas of Wireless Networks, Social Networks, Epidemiology, and Simulation and analysis of large scale Socio-technical systems.
(Please note that my name appears as V.S. Anil Kumar on many of my publications)
- A. Adiga, C. Kuhlman, H. Mortveit and Anil Vullikanti. Sensitivity of diusion dynamics to
network uncertainty. Proc. of the 27th AAAI Conference on Articial Intelligence, 2013.
- Abhijin Adiga and A. Kumar S. Vullikanti (2013) How robust is the core of a network? Proceedings of ECML/PKDD, Prague 23-27 September 2013
- G. Pei, S. Parthasarathy, A. Srinivasan and Anil Kumar S. Vullikanti. Approximation algo-
rithms for throughput maximization in wireless networks with delay constraints, IEEE/ACM
Transactions on Networking, Vol. 21, 1988-2000, 2013. Preliminary version in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, 2011.
- Z. Zhao, G. Wang, A. Butt, M. Khan, V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe (2012).
SAHad: Subgraph analysis in massive networks using hadoop.
In The Proceedings of 26th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed
Processing Symposium (IPDPS), May 21-25, Shanghai, 2012.
- Amitabha Ghosh, Ozlem Durmaz Incel, V. S. Anil Kumar, and Bhaskar Krishnamachari.
Multi-Channel Scheduling and Spanning Trees: Throughput-Delay Trade-off for Fast Data Collection in Sensor Networks,
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1731–1744, 2011.
- K. Channakeshava, K. Bisset, M. Marathe, V.S. Anil Kumar, S. Yardi (2011).
High Performance Scalable and Expressive Modeling Environment to Study Mobile Malware in Large Dynamic Networks.
In Proceedings of 25th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS). Anchorage, Alaska, May 16-20, 2011.
- C. Kuhlman, V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, S.S. Ravi, D. Rosenkrantz.
Finding critical nodes for inhibiting diffusion of complex contagions in social networks.
In Proceedings of European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice in Knowledge of Discovery in Databases, Barcelona, Spain, 2010.
- V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, S. Parthasarathy and A. Srinivasan
A unified approach to scheduling on unrelated parallel machines.
Journal of Journal of the Association of Computing Machinery (JACM) , 56(5), 2009. Preliminary version in IEEE FOCS 2005.
- S. Eubank, H. Guclu, V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, A. Srinivasan, Z. Toroczkai and N. Wang
Modelling disease outbreaks in realistic urban social networks.
Nature, 429(6998): 180-184, 2004.
- V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, S. Parthasarathy and A. Srinivasan.
Algorithmic aspects of capacity in wireless networks,
Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Measurements and Modeling of Computer Systems (SIGMETRICS), 33: 133-144, 2005.
- M. Khan, G. Pandurangan, V.S. Anil Kumar.
Distributed Algorithms for Constructing Approximate Minimum Spanning Trees in Wireless Sensor Networks,
Proceedings of IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems,, 20(1): 124-139, 2009.
- Y. Choi, M. Khan, V.S. Anil Kumar, G. Pandurangan.
Energy-Optimal Distributed Algorithms for Minimum Spanning Trees.
Journal of Selected Areas in Communications Vol 27(6): 188-190, 2009.
- K. Bisset, J. Chen, X. Feng, V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe,
EpiFast: A fast algorithm for large scale realistic epidemic simulations on distributed memory systems
In Proceedings of 23rd ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS’09) , Austin, Texas, 2009.
- M. Khan, V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, G. Pandurangan and S.S. Ravi.
Bi-Criteria approximation algorithms for power-efficient and low-interference topology control in unreliable ad hoc networks
28th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM) , Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
- D. Chafekar, D. Levin, V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, S. Parthasarathy, A. Srinivasan.
Capacity of asynchronous random-access scheduling in wireless networks.
In Proceedings of 27th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), pp 1148-1156, Phoneix, Arizona.
- D. Chafekar, V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, S. Parthasarathy and A. Srinivasan.
Approximating the capacity of wireless networks with SINR constraints.
In Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), 1166-1174, Phoenix, Arizona, 2008.
- Y. Choi, M. Khan, V.S. Anil Kumar, G. Pandurangan.
Energy-Optimal Distributed Algorithm for Minimum Spanning Tree.
20th ACM Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures ; Munich, Germany, 2008 (Brief Announcement).
- M. Halloran, N. Ferguson, S. Eubank, I. Longini Jr, D. Cummings, B. Lewis, S. Xu, C. Fraser, A. Vullikanti, T. Germann, D. Wagener, R. Beckman, K. Kadau, C. Barrett, C. Macken, D. Burke, P. Cooley,
Modeling targeted layered containment of an influenza pandemic in the United States.
In PNAS, March 10, 2008.
- V.S. Anil Kumar, M. Marathe, S. Parthasarathy and A. Srinivasan,
Scheduling on unrelated machines under tree-like precedence constraints.
Algorithmica, 55(1): 205-206, 2009.